14 June 2012

Happy Colors!

How do you make something look appealing to children? Make it colorful! I have proven a lot of times that children like and enjoy colorful objects. They find them interesting.


When I was hired as a preschool teacher, I was tasked to decorate our classroom. I didn't know where to start! My co-teachers were starting to paint and cut, coming up with beautiful decorations for their classrooms. I didn't know what to do. I don't have any experience in painting, I thought then. In addition, I was not exposed to fully-decorated preschool classrooms. Faced with a situation like this, one learns. Thank God I did learn... a bit.


When summer break came in, I started to plan and imagine what decorations I would make for our classroom. Then, I remembered how often most of my former pupils used to talk about buses, cars, and airplanes. *Light bulb* Why not make transportation devices the theme for the decors I will make for our classroom? Right then and there, I embraced the idea. Visit our classroom today and you might think that you landed on a bus station or an airport, or you may find yourself on the street waiting for a jeepney, or by the beach watching  boats that are sailing.


At the last minute, I thought of adding a decoration I haven't tried yet, something that I had wanted to try long, long ago. Glass door painting! Way back college, an organization would annually paint our college building's glass door with colorful drawings. It was only last week that I discovered that poster paint can be used to do it. And so I tried painting our room's glass door.


Glass door painting 1 (reflecting the school grounds)



Glass door painting 2 (also reflecting the school grounds)

Not yet an expert in this field! Hehe. But I hope I could improve on this. Next time, I want to paint on a big glass door. Hehe. I learned two amazing skills through this experience: 1)how to paint on glass (No need to mix water!), 2)how to do inverted writing (Good thing, paint on glass was easy-to-wipe. I had no problem re-painting and re-painting!).

I also tried making a colorful improvised mat where my pupils could sit on during Meeting Time.

Rainbow and star-studded improvised floor mat!

A tarpaulin turned into a floor mat! Rainbows and stars are very appealing to children! My original idea was that one child would sit on a star. But my estimated size on which I thought more than 10 children would fit, was apparently wrong. The floor mat's size is good for five children only. I think the perfect size would be 8x5 feet. Arrange your class' seat plan by having one child sit on a star. You may place the child's picture and name on top or at the middle of the star. Floor mats help a lot in keeping an organized and orderly class discussion! And bright colors may help children enjoy their seats!

As you make your classroom colorful, also add color to your class lessons. As you add color to your class lessons, make your pupils' lives colorful. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...