11 June 2012

Discoveries at Year 1

This week, I'm gonna see children in school again. This week, I'm gonna meet new adorable faces! I'm also gonna see my pupils last year who I missed a lot! This week, I'm gonna meet my second batch of toddlers class. This week, my second year of teaching starts. Today, I reminisce and reflect on my first year experience as a teacher.


I have observed that children learn by discovering. And I have also discovered that this is also true for teachers. Teachers learn through discovery. I've learned a lot in my first year of teaching. I've got discoveries that I will always keep in mind as a teacher.


Discovery #1
Before anything else, apologize. Humility is the key to strong and good teacher-parent relationships.


Discovery #2
As a teacher I must kneel in prayer everyday, declaring my dependence on God for wisdom and direction for me, and safety and protection for the children.






Discovery #3
Toddlers cannot take a nap in the company of their classmates or friends! Try to let them sleep and you'll end up getting stressed out. Hehe. Give them time to rest while enjoying the company of their classmates.


Discovery #4
Know your pupils by heart. Taking time to read their information sheet helps you connect with them easily.


Discovery #5
Toddlers always assume that their teachers are pretenders. Don't spoil your day getting angry at people who have only been in the world for two years. Two-year-olds think that you're not really angry, and so they continue exploring without knowing that you find what they do already upsetting. In short, don't get angry.


Discovery #6
Children appreciate your efforts, whether they express their appreciation or not. They won't forget the meaningful experiences you let them have, ever.




Discovery #7
Read a storybook to children everyday, and you'll get surprised at how they show interest in books and reading!


Discovery #8
Unlike adults, children do not get bored and tired of repetitions. In fact, they love repetitive stories, activities, and tasks! They learn mastery through repetitions.


Discovery #9
Children learn a lot when you give them freedom to choose what they want to do, provided that you guide them accordingly.


Discovery #10
Children learn to love the teacher when they feel that the teacher loves and cares for them.




These are just a few insights from my collection of discoveries. My first year of teaching had really been a rich and meaningful experience. I love every bit of it, for I know that God allowed each event to happen for my good, for a wonderful purpose. I cannot wait to gain more discoveries as my second year of teaching begins! I pray that God would continue to give me a clear, focused mind and a big heart for all the things that He has prepared for me this year. Hello, Year 2!




With some of my former pupils :)









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...