31 December 2011

When You're a Preschool Teacher, You Are...

A parent


Yes, you are a parent to your pupils. You are expected not just to educate and instruct but to nurture and care. Hence, as young as 22, I am a mother to 18 toddlers. :)


A friend


There will be times when you need to just be a friend to your pupils. You just have to chat with them, ask them questions, laugh with them, and play with them. Sometimes, I need to internalize being a two-year-old child for a while in order to connect with my pupils. And it often works!


A singer and dancer


A preschool class without singing and dancing in the schedule of activities in a day is boring. When you're a preschool teacher, you have to sing... and even dance! Singing actions songs is a very effective way to help children warm up and become comfortable with new people such as teachers and classmates. Children love singing and dancing! So I guess they also love singing and dancing teachers! ;) Don't worry, you don't need to have a golden voice. :)


A clown


You need to be entertaining. During our first day of class, as I met my pupils, I had to entertain them to get their trust so that they would let their parents leave them in the classroom. As months passed by, I realized that I was really becoming a classroom clown! And it works! I thought of doing something to encourage the pupils express emotions. While singing songs, we cry, we laugh, and we get angry! Imagine me singing while crying! Well as long as they enjoy going to school because of that, I would love to act like a clown everyday. :)







An actor


You don't always wear the nurturing and caring look. Sometimes you need to act angry, in order to discipline children. If it doesn't work, pretend that you are sad. Children usually do not want their teachers to become sad. There was one time when my co-teacher and I pretended to be sad because of something our pupils did and we wanted to make them realize that it was wrong. As I was processing what happened, wrapping things up, saying "next time, blah blah," one of my pupils asked us, "Teacher, happy na ba kayo?" :) When you're a preschool teacher, you cannot bring your emotions to the classroom when you're going through rough situations (in your private life). That's the tough part of working with children. You must always appear okay.


An artist


You have to be artistic. And this is a major problem for me. I'm starting to run out of creative ideas! When handling children, you always have to present surprises. And usually, surprises involve artistic, creative ideas. This really challenges me.


A househelper


The classroom is your house. You have to make it really neat and clean. Personally, I want to get involved in cleaning our classroom. I sweep, I wipe, I mop.


A caregiver


Yayas are not allowed inside the classroom. Thus, inside the classroom, you become a yaya to all of your pupils. You wipe their nose or mouth, wipe their sweat, change soiled clothes, let them eat, and sometimes change diapers or assist them when they poo. :)


A role model


I must say, a good role model. It's true that children imitate what adults do. Children imitate what they see you are doing. I often observe my pupils looking at me when I am doing something. Afterwards, I see them doing the things they see me doing!


A celebrity


Yes, you are a celebrity! You are like a famous TV personality when your pupils see you at the mall or anywhere other than the school. There was one time when I was at the mall foodcourt with my sister, busy eating. I was surprised, as I looked at my right side, to see my pupil and his whole family staring at me! His mother explained, "nakita ka niya, sinundan ka niya kaya kami pumunta dito." :))




With my adorable pupils during our Buwan ng Wika celebration


My pupils feeding our classroom pet fish, Nemo









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...