08 July 2012

How My Cupcake Baking Journey Began :)

My interest in cooking and baking began as I took a required subject in our course, Food Preparation (FN 11). The subject involved not only cooking, but also studying the chemical processes happening in the preparation of food. Syneresis, carotenoids, oxidation are only a few of the many terms I encountered in that subject. I still remember how hard I studied for our exams, and how my nose bled during exams. I can say that FN 11 was one of the very few subjects that I enjoyed despite their difficulty.

I'm sorry for the very long introduction. Let's get to the main subject of this article: how I started to get interested in baking and decorating cupcakes.

Thankfully, I found time out of my busy schedule as a college student to do some experimenting in the kitchen. Sometime in 2010 I decided to bake cupcakes, specifically. The first thing I did was to rummage through our kitchen shelves and cabinets looking for baking utensils and equipment. I did that so I could know what I still needed to purchase. My search led me to the decision to buy cupcake pans.

Why cupcakes?

My first choco cupcakes, fresh from the oven! :)


I chose to focus on cupcakes because they are easy to decorate. Also, cupcakes are ideal giveaway items because they are easier to transport and they cost less than cakes. It's easier to be creative in decorating cupcakes than in styling big cakes. The essential key to pretty cupcakes is icing or frosting.

I got a chocolate cupcake recipe from the internet and then I looked for icing recipes. Way back high school, I learned how to make what I call "easy" icing simply because it was easy to make. You just need egg whites (separating egg whites from the yolk is quite challenging, though), confectioner's/icing sugar, and a pinch of cream of tartar. This kind of icing, I think, is not suitable for cupcakes and so I searched for recipes. I found a recipe of boiled icing. And so I tried making boiled icing. Then, I bought some candy sprinkles and choco chips. I bought it at Magic Star Supermarket (Tarlac City). Up to now, I still haven't found a shop where I can buy baking stuff here in Tarlac City. Magic Star is the best place to buy baking essentials here. 

Cupcake Trial # 1

Chocolate cupcake with boiled icing and candy sprinkles/choco chips

Choco cupcakes with boiled icing and choco chips

With candy sprinkles

With choco chips and candy sprinkles

Have you noticed something? Yes, the icing! Palpak, because I wanted to put fluffy swirls on the cupcakes but I couldn't. It's flowy! With this kind of icing, fluffy swirls are impossible. Back then, I did not know what was wrong. I just thought that boiled icing was not meant for cupcakes. But I think some adjustments in the ingredients should just be made.


Cupcake Trial #2

Chocolate cupcake with buttercream icing and candy sprinkles

I searched for a better icing for cupcakes. I found the recipe for buttercream icing. It's easy to make and delicious. Plus, I achieved (somehow) the fluffy swirls.

During sem break, I made cupcakes for my church mates. Dual purpose: doing my experiment on buttercream icing and sharing. :)


Look at the swirls! I was so happy! :)

I received positive feedback after letting my church mates taste these cupcakes! :) And so I got inspired experimenting more...


Cupcake Trial #3

We used to have a small snack shop near Tarlac State University, selling fresh fruit shakes and siomai. *Light bulb* Why not add cupcakes in the menu? So I did. I made a poster advertising the cupcakes. But I knew making and selling cupcakes would be temporary because of my hectic schedule that time.

Cupcakes at Red Nook :)

 I was right. It did not last long. After baking a batch of cupcakes, I gave up on the idea of making it a small-time business. But I continued making it a hobby...


Cupcake Trial #4

I got bored with my choco cupcakes that's why I tried other recipes...

Choco-cream cheese cupcake

What's good about this kind of cupcake is that it doesn't need icing or frosting. It's very plain and simple, yet delicious and satisfying.

Just add cream cheese to the ingredients in making choco cupcakes.

The not-yet-beaten batter

Choco and cream cheese swirls :)

According to my friends, these cupcakes were the best among all the cupcakes I baked!

 
I just don't know if that's just their strategy to get more free cupcakes from me. Hehe. But still, I considered the compliment as an inspiration to learn more about cupcakes.

I enjoy learning as I experiment on different recipes and decorating techniques. I know I still need to learn a lot.

This is how my cupcake baking journey began. I would like to continue it, as a hobby. However, I should first have our oven fixed... ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...